Friday 23 March 2012

19th March 2002 - Vex Red + Halo - London Kings College

At the time of this gig Vex Red were being touted (I suspect mostly by NME) as being the next big thing. I hadn't heard anything by them that impressed me so there must have been some reason why my mate dragged me along.

We arrived at the venue, took a cursory look at the stage where Halo were re-heating somebody else's long dead ideas of what a rock band should sound like, and headed for the bar. As we did this, a pothead pixie in a stupid woolly hat bounded up and asked us whether we were "from Sony?". As one we rounded on him and said "no - f*** off!". I suppose he didn't think there could be any other reason why people who were possibly over thirty should be there.

Halo finished torturing their instruments and the sensibilities of the audience (none of this in a good way you understand) and Vex Red appeared. In my opinion the biggest curse that can be laid at the door of any band is declaring them to be the next big thing. My God - if that was the case regarding this lot then the only option left for me would be to remove my ears with whatever was available, even if it happened to be a broken plastic beer glass.

Vex Red had essentially jumped on the rear bumper of nu-metal, and were bouncing along the road behind that clapped out banger as it spluttered its last. They split up, got married and had kids (or did whatever else retired nu-metallers do) and we all lived happily ever after. The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment